Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lights Out!

"Rinse your plate.""Load it in the dish washer.""Turn off the light.""Mike, go back and turn off the light."
These are examples of thoughts that would go through my mind when I was a kid. 

My relationship with Christ began when I was twelve and from that time on I would sense a voice inside of me reminding me of the little things that I should do. This passage from Matthew 7:12 would invade my thoughts: "do to others as you would have them do to you." I would hear that thought and keep walking. I would feel that thought and keep walking. Moments later, annoyed, I would turn around and go back and "do to others."

Is that how the Holy Spirit works? Is that the guidance from the Counselor that Jesus was talking about or was that me doing the right thing because I loved my parents and wanted to please them? I've asked myself these questions many times over the years.

There are multiple passages that speak of the Holy Spirit living inside of us. Here's one; 1 Corinthians 6:19 says, "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own..."

In the beginning God walked with Adam. Years later he spoke to Moses from a burning bush. After that, he spoke through his prophets. Then he came in the flesh (Christ) and said, "I will be going away but I will send you a guide that will live within you." That's close! So close that now he say's "I'm inside."

So my question is, when we sense God speaking within us and we decide to "do" what he says, is it us doing it or is it God doing it? The answer is it's him doing it through us. Our partnership with God binds so tight that sometimes it is difficult to distinguish who is doing what.

If God say's "turn off the light," then turn off the light.
If God says "let your light shine," then let your light shine.
Be his hands and feet.
Worship him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment